Monday, June 8, 2009

Journalists, Courage, and Union


I know I said I would do a tradition of Lincoln post if the news was slow...it hasnt been, but my noodle has been cooked by a recent event...

From what I've heard, two female journalists were working near the DMZ for Al Gore's company and have ended up in North Korean (commie) custody. Being that the communists of the last, oh, 185 years havent been known for their kindness and compassion, Kimmy Il sentenced them to 12 years of hard labor (a.k.a. cruel and unusual punishment) for "Grave crimes against the Korean nation."

This situation reminds me of something TR had to deal with back in 1904. For the record, TR is one of my favorite Presidents (I respect his modernization of government...more importantly, he first broached an early conservatism both at home and abroad) and I did remember much of the topic, yet I'm not that smart and did do some research.

"Perdicaris alive or Raisuli dead!"

Ion Perdicaris was a Greek-American working as the American consul to Morocco...in 1904, the diplomat-aristocrat was abducted by a rebel band (Moors titled Berbers) lead by a notorious Robin-Hood-like brigand named Raisuli. Raisuli's demands were $70,000 and some territory out of the Morrocan sultan. This didnt fly under a courageous president.

Roosevelt immediately issued the big-stick line "Perdicaris alive or Raisuli dead!" which was toned-down by John Hay, the Secretary of State, in a telegram "The government wants Perdicaris alive or Raisuli dead." Following the telegram were several warships, dispatched by a direct order from the president, and, upon their arrival, the hostages were released.

Lets compare results to Obama....the 2009 White House released this statement: "We are all focused on the journalists very closely. And by we, I mean all levels of the US [Federal] government. These are young women with families - one with a 4-year old daughter - and we are making clear to North Korea through many channels that they should be released and reunited with their families."
. . .
THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Liberal journalists or not, these are American citizens and it is our spineless President's JOB to get them out of there! I'm afraid that Mr. Obama will never understand that you cannot simply talk to madmen...I fear more that these women, most likely raped and tortured already, will be forgotten by a political machine too alike North Korea in its willingness to sacrifice many for an ideology.

With wimps populating the highest offices, all we can do is pray for them.

No comments: